COVID 19 Update: We are here for you.
Our offices are closed until further notice, but it is business as usual. We are available to assist you via phone, email and video call during normal business hours.

Canadian tax professionalWhen you want something done properly, it is best to select a person or company who specializes in the job you need completed.

For example, when you are looking to renovate your home, this may require electrical or plumbing skills.  YouTube videos and a trip to the hardware store might seem like a viable option, but it will end up costing a lot more down the road. However, if you choose the right person for the job the first time, it will save you time, money and headaches down the road. Similarly, when you have a problem with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) such as getting audited or owing the CRA money, it is important to choose the right type of Canadian tax professional to assist you.

Let’s look at the most common options to choose from when dealing with CRA issues:

  • Accountants

Accountants are excellent at preparing tax returns, financial statements and providing a variety of tax planning and accounting advice. However, many accountants are not interested in “doing battle” with the CRA as it’s not their strong suit.

  • Lawyers

Lawyers are skilled at researching case law, preparing oral and written legal arguments and defending your case in court, but their fees are often very expensive and using a lawyer is usually overkill for most non-court-related CRA problems.

  • CRA Dispute Resolution Companies

Companies in this space are specialists in dealing with CRA problems – it is what they do day in and day out. The best of them are staffed with ex-CRA auditors and collectors.

So ask yourself, who you would hire for the following CRA problems:

  1. CRA Audit

You receive that dreaded phone call or little brown envelope in the mail from the CRA. What do you do?  Who do you call for help? An audit of your company or personal returns by the CRA can often be the beginning of a long and stressful process. If not handled properly, you could be facing at best a massive tax bill or at worst criminal charges. Do you call an accountant or do you call a CRA dispute resolution company who has ex-CRA employees who know the ins and outs of a CRA audit?

  1. Money Owing to CRA

You owe the CRA thousands of dollars and can’t pay it off any time soon. You’ve received their threatening letters and phone calls – serious collection action is only days away. Your bank account may be seized and emptied, a garnishment notice is on its way to your employer or a lien is placed against your home. What do you do? Do you call a lawyer who will charge you top dollar and possibly have a junior associate work on your file? Or do you call a CRA dispute resolution company that can successfully negotiate with CRA collection officers every day?

Dealing with the CRA is not a “do-it-yourself” project.  It is critical that you hire the proper Canadian tax professional for your CRA problem.

Don’t turn to just anyone to solve your tax problem.  Call Tax Solutions Canada today for expert advice from their ex-CRA and tax specialists: 1-888-868-1400.