Is House Flipping Considered Capital Gains or Business Income?

If you renovate and sell your home, how much tax do you pay? Does it count as a primary residence? Will you pay capital gains? Is it considered business income?

Fill out the form to get started or give us call


Solve Your Tax Problem

Book A Free Confidential Consultation


What Tax Do You Pay When You Flip a House?

Flipping a house (buying a home, renovating it, and reselling it) can make you quite a lot of money, with the right renovations and in the right real estate market. However, unless a property is considered your primary residence, you’ll have to pay tax on this money, which can seriously cut into your profits.

You are exempt from paying taxes on the sale of a property if it is your primary residence. For a property to be considered a primary residence, you or your family must have “ordinarily inhabited” the property. You may designate one property per year as your primary residence and there is no specific amount of time that you must live in the home for it to be considered “ordinarily inhabited.”

Up until recently, you did not have to report the sale of a primary residence on your income taxes. However, starting with the 2016 tax year, you are required to list the details of the sale, even if the property is fully protected by the primary residence exemption.

On all other properties, you must pay taxes on the profits of a sale. What does this mean for “house flippers” and how much tax would you pay if you flipped a home? That depends on several factors.


Designating a Property your Primary Residence


As mentioned, Canadians are exempt from paying taxes on the sale of a primary residence. This means that some people may try to claim the home that they flipped as their primary residence during the renovation period, so that they would be exempt from taxes. However, the CRA is aware of this tactic and takes steps to prevent people from using it.

As mentioned, there is no specific amount of time that you must live in a home in order for it to be considered “ordinarily inhabited.” When you list the sale of the property on your taxes, the CRA will take several factors into account when deciding whether a property should rightfully be considered a primary residence. This includes the intent at the time of purchase, the timeframe between the purchase and sale, the number of purchases and sales that a person has made, the number of primary residence designations a person has made, etc.

This means that, if you flip a home, the CRA will likely find out and you will be charged taxes. If you fail to report your profits accurately and the CRA finds out about it, you could be charged penalties and interest on the tax owing.


Capital Gains versus Business Income


In most cases, if you sell a property that is not your primary residence, you will be charges taxes. However, how much you are charged will depend on whether or not the CRA considers the profits to be business income or capital gains.

Capitals gains tax is charged at half of the rate as ordinary income. For example, if you sell a property and make a profit of $50,000, you will pay capital gains taxes on half of that amount ($25,000) at your marginal tax rate.

However, the CRA could consider these profits to be business income. If this is the case, you will need to pay taxes on the full amount ($50,000). This difference is obviously very important.

How does the CRA determine whether the money made from selling a property is business income or not? Again, there are many factors. If the CRA believes that you purchased the property with the intent of selling it for a profit, it will likely consider it as business income. Much like how the CRA determines whether or not a property is your primary residence, it will look at how many properties you’ve bought and sold, how often you’ve done this, the nature of the renovations, the timeframe of the purchase and sale, and many other factors. However, if you generated money from the property (such as if you rented it out and made money from rent) then it will likely be considered a capital gain instead.

The CRA will also look at your profession when determining whether or not it considers the profits of a sale to be business income. If you are a builder, contractor, or have a similar profession, it’s more likely that the CRA will consider your profits as business income and charge you as such.

If you are in a situation where the CRA is claiming that you misrepresented your income or if it has told you that you owe more money in taxes than you expected, due to the CRA classifying the sale of a property differently than you did, you can dispute these charges. However, the CRA is very tough to deal with, so you will want to speak to a professional first. Please give us a call at 1-888-868-1400 to see how we can help.


Contact Farber Tax Solutions
Book A Free Consultation

Service Overall rating: ★★★★★ 5 based on 14 reviews
5 1

Toronto, Ontario

5 5 1
A CRA policy shift suddenly left me unqualified for a six figure tax credit my company qualified for in the past. I was left with an unexpected, and personal, six figure tax bill with no way to pay it. When the CRA’s patience wore out, they were about to freeze my bank accounts. I fight fear with information and did a ton of homework. It made sense to me that having someone from the CRA, an expat if you will, would be the best advocate for me at the CRA. A tax lawyer made no sense at all. Pick a fight with the CRA? You’re kidding right? So, I called TSC and spoke with James Bell. He bought the time necessary from the CRA so I could sell some assets at their full value to put things in order. That time saved me tens of thousands of dollars and I paid the CRA in full. At a time when I had no credit, James was good enough to extend terms for his services and I paid him too. I never had difficulty contacting James or his assistant once the wheels started turning, and they kept me fully informed along the way so I could sleep. I highly recommend TSC as a valuable service for those that live outside the tidy financial boxes the Banks and the CRA want us to live in.

Farber Tax Solutions can help you successfully deal with CRA problems. We utilize the experience of our ex-CRA professionals to:

  • 1| Offer a comprehensive solution that is focused on achieving the most favourable possible outcome for your tax issue
  • 2| Communicate with the CRA on your behalf and navigate the entire CRA dispute processes
  • 3| Offer a complete solution to tax problems, including ex-CRA professionals, lawyers, and experienced accountants