CRA Notice of Objection: Everything You Need to Know

A Notice of Objection can be your best recourse If you believe you've been assessed incorrectly by the CRA. Filling a CRA Notice of Objection can be complex and needs to be treated with care. Its important to know everything you can about filing a Notice of Objection. Its even better to work with a tax expert.

Fill out the form to get started or give us call


Solve Your Tax Problem

Book A Free Confidential Consultation


Notice of Objection: Your Chance to Appeal


If you believe your CRA Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment does not correctly reflect your tax situation, you can object – and we can help.


Filing a CRA Notice of Objection


Once you file your tax return, and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) processes it, your Notice of Assessment (NOA) will arrive shortly. If you submitted your return online, you will likely get your NOA quite quickly. However, if you mailed in your return, you will have to wait longer – especially if you waited until it was very close to the deadline before doing so.

Your NOA will show how much you owe in taxes (or how much of a refund you can expect to receive) as well as other information about your tax situation. If you disagree with the information listed, you are able to formally object. This is done by filing form T400A, which is more commonly known as a Notice of Objection. You are also able to object to a CRA Notice of Reassessment, which is a document that is sent out after the CRA has taken an additional look at your return and made changes to the initial Notice of Assessment.

In fact, a CRA Notice of Objection (NOO) is designed to provide Canadian taxpayers with a chance to object to a Notice of Assessment, Reassessment, Determination, or Redetermination. Form T400A can be very useful if you believe that something is incorrect or if you missed something when you originally filed your return.

Filing a Notice of Objection is a powerful tool, as it gives you the ability to challenge something you believe was not correctly assessed. However, it is critical that you use care when you file a T400A – Notice of Objection. When you file, you will be required to back up any of claims with valid evidence. For instance, if you disagree with any of the numbers that the CRA has listed on your Notice of Assessment, you will need to provide documentation to show why you object. The more evidence you have – and the more clearly you are able to outline your case – the greater chance of success you will have at filing a CRA Notice of Objection.

You will also need to make sure that you file your objection in a timely manner. This is why it’s critical that you work with an experienced tax professional who understands how to effectively communicate and negotiate with the CRA. Not only can an experienced expert help you complete your filing and speak with the CRA, but our team can also help you prepare your case. Contact us today for more information on how we can help.


Time Limit To File a Notice of Objection


As mentioned, filing a Notice of Objection is a significant matter that must be treated with care. If you do not correctly outline your situation and fail to provide sufficient evidence to support your case, your NOA will not be successful and you will be required to abide by the CRA’s assessment.

One important factor to note is that there is a time limit for filing a Notice of Objection. The time limit for individuals is one year after the normal filing deadline for the return or 90 days after the day printed on your Notice of Assessment, whichever is later. This means that it is important that you keep all receipts and documentation easily accessible after you file your tax return. You may need them to prove your case.

If you miss the first deadline, the CRA will allow an extension, as long as it is applied for within one year of the deadline for filing the Notice of Objection. With this application for an extension, you will need to provide the reason why you were unable to file your objection within the regular time limits, prove that you had intentions of filing all along and that you’ve applied a soon as was possible. If this situation applies to you, it is also a good idea to speak with a tax expert to determine what the best course of action will be.

Talk With an
Ex-CRA Tax Dispute Expert

Book a Free Consultation

How to File a CRA Notice of Objection


How do you file an objection? This can be done in two ways. If you are within the regular time limit of one year after the normal filing deadline or 90 days after the Notice of Assessment, you can formally register your dispute online. You can also submit a hard copy of a Form T400A Notice of Objection to your local tax services office. However, as mentioned, this can be a complicated process.

When you file an objection, you will need to clearly outline the issue that is in dispute, why you believe it has resulted in an incorrect assessment, and you will need to provide any and all relevant documentation that supports your objection. The more you can do to show why you feel the assessment is incorrect, the better off you’ll be. Communicating with the CRA can be difficult in the best of times, and especially when you are submitting a CRA Notice of Objection. The Agency will not want to be proven wrong and will, naturally, believe that the assessment made by the CRA is correct. It’s critical that you have strong evidence to back up your claims.

Once you file a Notice of Objection with the CRA, your case will be forwarded to an Appeals Officer who will review it and make a determination. The time it takes to receive your determination is based on several factors, including the complexity of the issue and any delays caused by not submitting all the required documentation. It is in your best interest to provide all relevant documents quickly, so the process does not stretch out longer than it needs to.

The tax professionals at Farber Tax Solutions can give you the best possible outcome when you object to a Notice of Assessment. Our team is made up of ex-CRA, accounting, and legal experts who have years of experience in communicating and negotiating with the Canada Revenue Agency. You can trust our team to help you prepare your case, ensure that you understand all of the documentation that you will need to provide, and speak with the CRA on your behalf. The objection process can be complicated and time-consuming. It’s best to work with professionals who have a proven track record of success. Contact us today for more information.

Farber Tax Solutions can help you successfully deal with CRA collections. We utilize the experience of our ex-CRA professionals to:

  • 1| remove existing collections action;
  • 2| prevent future collections actions; and
  • 3| help implement an affordable payment arrangement that is acceptable to the CRA.

In some cases, collection actions can even be postponed altogether. Our staff have over 30 years of combined experience working at the CRA and utilize their insider knowledge to help secure the best deal for you.